If you are a foundation, family office, or individual philanthropist whose goals include addressing global climate change, we’d like to hear from you.
Many nonprofits and foundations have stated that there is a need to empower more “citizen engagement” in addressing climate change as well as the need to fund more “long tail” projects. Today, 72% of charitable giving comes from individuals, but only 3% of donations go to environmental causes. Increasing donations to environmental causes from 3% to 5% represents an incremental $7 billion of funding. Additionally, this increased citizen engagement in the donation process will lead to greater awareness and lifestyle modifications, further benefiting climate change mitigation.
We believe that aggregating a wide range of climate change project types onto one easy to use portal, will allow citizen donors to find causes with emotional connection to support. Possible themes and categories for these projects include, but are not limited to the following:
- Projects for local chapters of national & international nonprofits
- Clean energy access and equity projects
- State, county, and city projects
- Academic and national lab research projects - modeling, prototyping, testing, etc.
- Educational and market research projects
- Background proposals for large grants (e.g. California Prop 39 clean energy for schools)
If you’d like to learn more about ClimateDonor.org and how we could help support the mission of your Foundation, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summary of charitable giving in 2014. Individuals are the largest source of giving, but environmental causes are the smallest recipients. ClimateDonor.org can help change that.